New Three-part Structural Repair System Doubles the Strength of Original Timber
Premier Coatings Ltd. recently introduced the SeaShield Series 400 Marine System,
a structural repair system designed to double the strength of original timber piles.
The three-part system is an encapsulation system that not only protects submerged
timber piles from aggressive saltwater environments and marine borers, but also
strengthens deteriorated piles with a durable, lightweight, non-corrosive reinforcement.
The Premier Coatings SeaShield Series 400 consists of three parts – the SeaShield
Fiber-Form Jacket, the high-strength C-Grid 450 carbon-fiber grid and either SeaShield
510 UW Grout (cementitious) or SeaShield 550 Epoxy Grout. This system provides a
non-corrosive reinforcement to the pile, and offers reduced weight compared to steel
reinforcements. The system has been independently tested by Texas A&M University’s
Department of Civil Engineering, Structural and Materials Testing Laboratory.
The Series 400 is designed for easy installation, with a high tensile strength.
During installation, the C-Grid 450 is wrapped around the pile then the SeaShield
Fiber-Form Jacket is positioned around the pile and the C-Grid 450. Once securing
the items in place, the UW Grout or the Epoxy Grout is then pumped into the jacket.
The grid requires less grout cover when compared to steel reinforcement.
"This system was designed with two major objectives," said Jeff Baker, Regional
manager for Premier Coatings Ltd. "First, to strengthen timber piles, with a lightweight,
easy-to-install reinforcement. This system doubles the strength of the original
timber pile. Second, it was designed to provide protection for existing piles from
the combined effects of bacteria, fungi, aquatic insects, and wear and tear caused
by tidal currents."
Premier Coatings Ltd., the leaders in corrosion prevention and sealing technology,
has offices throughout the world and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Winn &
Coales International. Originally established in London, England in 1883.